2017 Altemus Leadership Program (PART I): Leading from Within
August 25 – September 8, 2017
The nonprofit educational organization Altemus is pleased to announce a call for applications for its foundational 2-week ‘Leading from Within’ program. This training offers young people a unique opportunity to:
- Develop fundamental self-leadership skills and competencies
- Receive one-on-one feedback and coaching
- Network with peers and mentors from around the world
- Have a community service experience
The 2017 Altemus Leadership Programme (ALP) is comprised of a residential training (7 days), community service (1 day) and trekking (5 days). The topics covered in detail are:
- self-awareness & self-understanding
- action planning
- stress management
The training is intensive, interdisciplinary and participatory. It blends brief lectures, role-playing, case studies, group work, shared inquiry, games, art activities, outdoor experiential exercises, hiking and community service.
Altemus’ international team of trainers are seasoned professionals that come from the public, private and nonprofit sectors.
To be eligible for the 2017 ALP you must be:
- A national of a developing country; a student from a developing country enrolled in a higher education institution in Portugal or an EU member state; or, a national of Central Europe, Southeastern Europe, Turkey, the Baltic states, Belarus, Ukraine, Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Central Asia;
- Proficient in English;
- 20-29 years old; and,
- In good health (physical and mental) and capable of trekking with a 8-10 kg backpack for 5-8 hours/day on flat, or hilly terrain (moderate difficulty).
Young people who are:
Committed to developing their fullest human and leadership potential; and
Assisting marginalized or vulnerable populations in their communities; or
Leaders or members of student councils or organizations; or
Studying or working in one of the following fields:
- Good governance
- Medicine or nursing
- Social or humanitarian work
- Poverty reduction
- Environmental protection
- Social innovation
- Journalism or photojournalism
As we work with small groups, admission to the ALP is on a competitive basis. Applicants will be assessed on their essays, interview and integrity.
Finalized list of trainers will be available in March.
Altemus runs ‘Leading From Within’ at cost, with no profit. All of our trainers are professionals from the private, public and nonprofit sectors. They are ardent supporters of Altemus’ mission and values and therefore provide their services on a pro bono basis.
The 7 day-residential portion of the Leading From Within Program costs 500€.
This amount covers:
- All meals
- Accommodations in double occupancy rooms with private facilities. Bed linens and towels. WIFI access.
- All educational materials
- Psychometric reports
- A day pack + Altemus T-shirt
- An excursion to Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- One night’s lodging in Lisbon or Porto en route to the Camino starting point
- A celebration dinner
- One night’s lodging in Santiago Compostela
- A certificate of participation in the Altemus program, a Pilgrim’s passport, a Pilgrim’s shell and ‘compostela’ (certificate of completion of 100 km on the Camino)
- Possibility of post program coaching
Participants are responsible for covering their:
- Travel costs (including passport and visa) to Portugal and return from Portugal or Spain. The ALP ends in Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- Medical and travel insurance (obligatory)
- Medical examination and vaccinations (obligatory)
- Expenses relating to the trek on the Camino de Santiago. This includes travel from Lisbon to the Camino departure point and return travel from Santiago de Compostela to Lisbon or Madrid (approximately 90€), hostels (6-12€/ per night) and food (10-15€/ per day). Approximate total of 175-200€.
Applicants who are selected for the ALP are required to make a nonrefundable deposit of 100€ by March 31, 2017 in order to reserve their place.
The remaining balance is due on April 21st.
Complete the online application form by clicking the “Apply” button below. All successfully completed applications will be confirmed. If you are having technical difficulties or have no confirmation of receipt, email Altemus at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: March 15
Notification of selected participants: By March 22
Receipt of nonrefundable deposit: March 31
Receipt of remaining Balance: April 21